[sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:30:30 -0500

Lars,

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> * Patrick Durusau
> |
> | +1 on full XML. XHTML is simply too limiting.
>
> Seems like there is near-consensus on this, then.
>
> | Do think there needs to be a mechanism by which I can indicate what
> | is required to make sense of the data.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. What is required to
> make sense of XML data? And how would you include it? Is this really
> an XML issue and not a topic map issue?

Hmmm, depends on what you mean by XML data doesn't it? I assume that I
would want to interpret the markup that I find, but if all I have is the
markup, I am guessing about its significance. If it is <em></em> and I
know that is a presentation element, I could simply ignore it for some
purposes but not others.

Without it being in XTM, I would say it is an XML issue. Not sure that
changes if it is inside XTM.

> | Namespaces carry their own problems and I would not suggest them
> | unless we cannot find an acceptable alternative.
>
> I don't love namespaces any more than you do, but I don't think we can
> avoid them. If we are going to do XML we have to include the warts.
>
> | Suggestion: Let's discuss what we want to do, separate and apart
> | from current solutions and then evaluate the pluses and minuses of
> | any proposed solution. Prefer that over starting from a solution and
> | making our needs fit it.
>
> I think Jim and Eric have described the use cases pretty well already,
> and I added some more in one of my replies to Murray. I think that
> list covers most of the known use cases for this functionality.
>
> If people want I can make sure Graham and I include a section on these
> use cases in the document with the proposal for how to represent this
> in the DM.

Have been catching up on the thread and did see the other cases. My
point was
that we should start with the use cases and not XHTML.

Sounds like we are agreeing.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--