[sc34wg3] TM Data Model issue: prop-subj-address-values

Kal Ahmed sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
03 Nov 2003 15:40:45 +0000

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 14:41, Graham Moore wrote:
> Kal,
>
> I'm well aware of the distinction between subj ind and subj address, what I
> was trying to get at was there is non-determinism in both aspects of
> identity assignment, primarily because comparison within the model is only
> ever done with locators.
>

>From an XTM 1.0 point of view, there is no non-determinism in the
identity conferred by a subject address, because comparison is done by
comparing locator addresses using appropriate URI equivalence rules.
However, I grant you that this is only in the normative processing rules
that you see this heuristic.

But, even if I accept that there is a degree of non-determinism in an
identity conferred by a subject address, the nature of that
non-determinism is different - that is what I'm getting at. With a
subject indicator, there is inherent non-determinism because it depends
on the human interpretation of a resource. With a subject address, the
question is whether the resources addressed are the same or not - not
whether the reader thinks that they describe the same subject. That is a
massive difference that you seem to be ignoring.

Cheers,

Kal