[sc34wg3] TM Data Model issue: prop-subj-address-values

Graham Moore sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:41:55 +0100

Kal,=20

I'm well aware of the distinction between subj ind and subj address, =
what I
was trying to get at was there is non-determinism in both aspects of
identity assignment, primarily because comparison within the model is =
only
ever done with locators.

gra

Graham Moore, Ontopian            moore@ontopia.net
GSM: +47 926 82 437           http://www.ontopia.net

-----Original Message-----
From: sc34wg3-admin@isotopicmaps.org =
[mailto:sc34wg3-admin@isotopicmaps.org]
On Behalf Of Kal Ahmed
Sent: 03 November 2003 15:22
To: sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 14:07, Graham Moore wrote:
> Kal wrote:
>=20
> >> FACT: 1 topic can only represent one subject
>=20
> No, 1 topic *should* represent one subject but as we know the SLUO is=20
> not achievable.
>=20

So we should abandon the only remaining heursitic in XTM that comes =
close to
the SLUO ?

> >> FACT: 1 resource is one subject
>=20
> Indeed but that doesn't matter.
>=20

It does when taken together with the preceding fact.

> Both subject identifiers and subject addresses are means of=20
> establishing identity. There is no guarentee of correctly determining=20
> (when the URIs are
> different) whether they are representing the same subject. So I think=20
> the comparison is a useful one and gives good guidance as how we =
should
proceed.
>=20

No, a subject indicator has a completely different semantic to a subject
address. A subject indicator tells you that a resource describes the =
subject
of a topic, not that it is the subject of a topic. They follow a =
heuristic
which says that "well constructed and well chosen subject indicators =
will
always convey exactly the same subject to the intended audience of the =
topic
map" - otherwise they don't work. Subject address on the other hand says
"the resource at this address *is* the subject".
There is no concept of interpretation of the resource in the semantic of
subject address. The only similarity is that both properties use =
locators.
Thats it. They use locators in different ways with the addressed =
resources
have different relationships to the subject - so I don't see how any =
useful
comparison can be made.

Cheers,

Kal

> Graham Moore, Ontopian            moore@ontopia.net
> GSM: +47 926 82 437           http://www.ontopia.net
>=20
>=20

because
thats the way it works.
> > Thus, I dont see a big distinction between supporting a scheme we=20
> > have defined (Subj Inds) and a scheme that exists
> > (URI) as being different when in both cases there is a degree of=20
> > ambiguity/ flexibility.
> >=20
>=20
> I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. Subject indicators=20
> are URIs of resources that describe subjects, and a subject can be
> *described* by many resources. So there is, in my mind, no parallel=20
> here at all.
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20