[sc34wg3] new Reference Model draft now available

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 13:15:10 +0200

At 18:42 29.03.2003 -0600, Steven R. Newcomb wrote:
>The latest draft of the Reference Model, version 2.30, retitled "Topic
>Maps Model", to be published by ISO as N0393, is now available at
>http://www.isotopicmaps.org/tmmm/TMMM-2.30/N0393.html

At first glance this looks like a major step forward. Sincere
congratulations!

>This version is reduced in size (only 24 pages, down from 42),

A very good sign. Who knows, perhaps it could be even shorter?
I would find something around 12 pages, twice as compelling, not
least because it would mean you are approaching the compactness
and elegance that I have missed up to now.

>It is also much closer being an appropriate foundation for the SAM.
>We have basically "translated" the whole thing; it's almost
>unrecognizable.  The graph, the arcs, and the nodes are all gone.
>It's all about the properties of topics now, which are pretty close to
>what the SAM calls "information items."  However, the underlying ideas
>are very, very much the same.

This is also very positive. Suddenly the thing starts to look like
it does in fact have some relationship so good ol' 13250 :-)

I promise to study it in detail as soon as time permits and send you
my comments.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Ontopian