[sc34wg3] new Reference Model draft now available

Steven R. Newcomb sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
29 Mar 2003 18:42:18 -0600

The latest draft of the Reference Model, version 2.30, retitled "Topic
Maps Model", to be published by ISO as N0393, is now available at
http://www.isotopicmaps.org/tmmm/TMMM-2.30/N0393.html

If you prefer to print it and read it from paper, you can download
a PDF: http://www.isotopicmaps.org/tmmm/TMMM-2.30/N0393.PDF

This version is reduced in size (only 24 pages, down from 42), and we
believe it is more readable, compelling, understandable, and closer to
being appropriate for eventual standardization.

It is also much closer being an appropriate foundation for the SAM.
We have basically "translated" the whole thing; it's almost
unrecognizable.  The graph, the arcs, and the nodes are all gone.
It's all about the properties of topics now, which are pretty close to
what the SAM calls "information items."  However, the underlying ideas
are very, very much the same.

Many thanks to all who criticized the previous version.  We heard you!

If you want to criticize this new version, please do not use the
"clean" renderings mentioned above, which do not reveal the unique
identifiers of the paragraphs.  Instead, please use
http://www.isotopicmaps.org/tmmm/tmmm-latest.html and please continue
to mention the parid numbers in your comments.  (Our
commenting/hyperlinking system has been working pretty well, judging
from the wealth of comments we received on version 1.xx.)

Steve Newcomb, presumably also speaking for

Sam Hunting, Jan Algermissen, and Patrick Durusau