[sc34wg3] WG3 agenda for London meeting

Mason, James David (MXM) sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:06:44 -0500

The SC34 Chairman strongly urges you to get things together before Wednesday
night, preferably far enough ahead to get him files.

Wednesday evening is going to be pretty busy in the room where the plenary
is to happen: ISUG has its annual business meeting at 5:30, followed by a
reception by XML UK (the UK chapter of ISUG), and then the plenary. So there
won't be much room for doing WG business before the meeting.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Marius Garshol [mailto:larsga@garshol.priv.no]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 3:28 PM
To: sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Subject: Re: [sc34wg3] WG3 agenda for London meeting

* Steve Pepper

| A plenary session for the WG at which we prepare and approve all
| recommendations that we intend to put before the SC34 closing
| plenary. (I don't want a repeat of the Baltimore circus.)

I very strongly approve of this idea. We really need this in order to
avoid the chaos we always seem to get during the closing plenary
(Baltimore was just the worst instance, but it's always been like this
to some degree) because we didn't tie up the loose ends before the
closing plenary.

Note that I think it's different from what Michel had in mind, so it's
completely orthogonal to his proposal.

| I think we need to set aside time on Monday afternoon for this.
| I propose two alternatives
|
|      (A) 4pm-6pm
|          This has the disadvantage that we have to cut short the
|          TMQL workshop.
|
|      (B) 6pm-8pm

I'm not sure whether Monday is the right time for this. Remember that
usually we need to put together texts for submission to SC34 and also
to digest and come to terms with what has happened so far. (B) also
has the problem that people's mental batteries are likely to be
completely flat by then.

I propose that we do a 30-minute summarizing of the meetings at the
end of Monday, just quickly listing what we've covered, who needs to
write what, and rough outlines of what we will submit to SC34. I
propose that a single person take responsibility for this, to ensure
that it's brief and effective. The natural person is you, I think.

Then, we should meet for at least one hour just before the SC34
plenary to go through the texts we are submitting, so that we can all
be in agreement when we go into the plenary. I realize this will put
more pressure on some people, you and me in particular, but I think
it's worth it.

| Please everybody - vote for the time that suits you best as soon as
| possible.

Sorry to come in from left field with a third proposal here, but I
really do believe my (C) is better.