[sc34wg3] RM comment: parid2901

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:00:42 +0100

At 16:01 19.02.2003 -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>I think we need to give serious consideration to changing the name of the
>"SLUO." One suggestion that comes to mind is the "Unique Subject Location
>Objective" or "USLO." I don't know that it is really necessary to include
>the "location" language in the objective and would be just as pleased with
>"Unique Subject Objective" or "USO." That a subject has a unique location
>in the topic map is a result of the merging rules, and is the key to the
>paradigm but I don't know that the current name is a real marketing winner.

I have earlier proposed the term "collocation objective", which has the
same basic connotation and a good pedigree in library science. (See for
example Elaine Svenonius' book, "The Intellectual Foundation of Information
Organization".)

It is not quite so excruciatingly precise but its use in our context can be
defined with the same precision. It would certainly be more readily
understandable to people outside the inner sanctum.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)