[sc34wg3] SAM issue: locator-notation-support

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:58:51 +0100

At 09:12 13.02.2003 +0000, Martin Bryan wrote:
>Lar Marius:
> >
> > The proposal from Graham and me, not yet formally put forward[1], is
> > that SAM should declare the "URI" and "HyTime" locator notation
> > names. We'd like to hear from people knowledgeable about HyTime
> > whether they think this is enough. That is, can all HyTime locators be
> > fully represented as a string? If not, we may to change the locator
> > model in the SAM.
>
>HyTime locators can require more than a string: they can be defined in terms
>of finite coordinate spaces, property values, lists or notation data as
>well.

But surely all of these things can be represented as strings at the end
of the day, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to interchange them in the
form of a HyTime document (which is just a string, right?).

The question is, is it enough to have a "HyTime" locator notation, or
should we have several notations, one for each *kind* of HyTime locator
(queryloc, treeloc, nameloc, etc.)?

Perhaps we need the input of Eliot or Peter N on this.

Steve