[sc34wg3] SAM issue: locator-notation-support

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:12:16 -0000

Lar Marius:

> The proposal from Graham and me, not yet formally put forward[1], is
> that SAM should declare the "URI" and "HyTime" locator notation
> names. We'd like to hear from people knowledgeable about HyTime
> whether they think this is enough. That is, can all HyTime locators be
> fully represented as a string? If not, we may to change the locator
> model in the SAM.

HyTime locators can require more than a string: they can be defined in terms
of finite coordinate spaces, property values, lists or notation data as
well. ISO 13250 does not restrict the use of any of the forms. In practice,
however, I think it would be reasonable to restrict them to being treated as
strings for the purposes of Topic Maps, otherwise I cannot see how we can
deserialize HyTm into a format compatible with the SAM.

Martin Bryan