[sc34wg3] Clarifying N0323

Anthony B. Coates sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:01:30 GMT

** Reply to message from Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@garshol.priv.no> on 07 Feb
2003 15:38:15 +0100

> Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that it assumes that *some* TM engines
> will use the RM model. As far as I know, that's not the case. And if
> we don't expect that we have no need for a canonicalization, either.

I've put together a relational database schema based on the RM, which I will
publish at some stage.  That's somewhat short of an engine, but I hope it will
get people thinking.

> In any case I'm not sure it's possible to create a general
> canonicalization procedure for the RM. Ordering is key and I'm not
> sure you can come up with a workable ordering procedure.

I suspect you can if you can agree on a particular starting topic.  You hold
the topic map up by that one topic, shake it a few times, and it should fall
out into something of a tree.  The ordering can be quite arbitrary for this
application, it just has to be repeatable.

	Cheers,
		Tony.
====
Anthony B. Coates, Information & Software Architect
mailto:abcoates@TheOffice.net
Reuters Messaging: abcoates.londonmarketsystems.com@reuters.net
====
MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/