[sc34wg3] Clarifying N0323

07 Feb 2003 15:38:15 +0100

* Lars Marius Garshol

| That assumes that we expect TM engines to actually construct RM
| instances. As far as I know that is not the case.

* Anthony B. Coates

| No, it wasn't my intention that the RM *must* be used by TM engines.
| Using it or not is clearly optional.  However, for those who choose
| to use, a canonical RM serialisation in XML would be very useful,
| e.g. for mundane but important things like checking that version
| M.(N+1) of a TM engine constructs the same RM model that version M.N
| did.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that it assumes that *some* TM engines
will use the RM model. As far as I know, that's not the case. And if
we don't expect that we have no need for a canonicalization, either.

In any case I'm not sure it's possible to create a general
canonicalization procedure for the RM. Ordering is key and I'm not
sure you can come up with a workable ordering procedure.