Changed distribution:? was Re: [sc34wg3] Let's revert to N323!

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 07:06:30 -0500

Steve,

Steve Pepper wrote:
<snip>

> N372 splits the two components of the XTM specification across two
> documents: The syntax specification itself is proposed as an annex to
> ISO 13250, whereas the deserialization syntax is an annex to the SAM.
>
> The original plan was to have both parts in one document (of which
> N328 http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0328.htm is the current
> draft).
>
> Lars Marius has pointed out that this is illogical and also means
> having to redo a lot of work. In addition, it leads us to repeating
> the mistake we made in the original 13250 of defining topic maps in
> terms of an interchange syntax rather than a data model. (ISO 13250
> would stand as the primary definition of Topic Maps but would not
> include the data model, which N372 suggests should be in a separate
> standard.)

Yes! I noticed that but while "illogical," I did not assume that it
would require redoing a lot of work. Upon reflection, at least from the
standpoint of authoring the references, etc., it would be a lot easier
to depend upon what had gone before in a single document. Perhaps
otherwise as well.

Thanks for the clarification!

Patrick

--