[sc34wg3] Just *doing* it!

02 Feb 2003 14:56:44 +0100

Graham and I have had a rough view of how to finish the SAM work, but
the recent discussion in Baltimore derailed that completely. Right now
I am not sure what to do, but I realize that in order to move on we
have to do something, so I will pretend that the Baltimore discussion
did not happen and present the plan as it looked before it.

  Mid-February:
    publication of post-Baltimore SAM version with *all* issues
    resolved

    publication of supporting document with proposed resolutions to
    all issues still open after Baltimore

    call for comments on the SAM from all interested parties

  Mid-March:
    publication of XTM deserialization spec[1] with all issues
    resolved

    call for comments on the XTM spec from all interested parties

  Mid-April:
    publication of SAM and XTM deserialization specs as committee
    drafts (now rewritten to proper ISO style)

  London:
    discussion of remaining SAM/XTM issues

    working out practicalities of replacing ISO 13250 by SAM/XTM
    documents

  Early July:
    publication of final SAM/XTM documents (that is, new ISO 13250)

The parts of ISO 13250 (as defined in N0323) that are left out here
are part 0 (the overview/guide), the reference model (covered by SRN
in a previous posting, anyway), the HyTM deserialization spec (no
volunteers for writing it), and the canonicalization spec (ditto, but
I could have it ready by August if nobody else steps forward).

I realize that we are still discussing whether or not to have a
multi-part ISO 13250 or whether to split this up into multiple
standards, and exactly which pieces to have. I've posted this to show
you all what the old plan was, in case you were not aware.

I hope this makes it clear that if nothing else we have to either make
a new roadmap or agree to keep the old, and that we have to do so
*quickly*.

Comments?

[1] <URL: http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0328.htm >