[sc34wg3] Just *doing* it!

02 Feb 2003 14:43:44 +0100

* Patrick Durusau

| I offer the following as a partial view of ISO 13250:
|
| 1. Principles of topic maps: A standard, separate from any
| particular model, of the underlying principles that comprise the
| topic map paradigm. [...]
|
| I see such "principles" as providing a means of distinguishing
| models for topic maps from models for other things, as well as
| providing a means to speak meaningfully about various aspects of
| topic map models.

To me this sounds like the current Reference Model. Is that what you
meant?

| 2. A data model: Description of a topic map model, using a widely
| used modeling technique or formalism. Such a data model could and
| should be evaluated against the "principles of topic maps" suggested
| as #1.

This sounds like the current SAM. Is that what you meant?

| I have two non-topic map examples of why limiting a standard to one
| particular data model is something to be avoided.
| a. Unicode: [...]
| b. XML: [...]

I may have quibbles with some of what you wrote, but I do think your
general point is valid. The question is what to do about it. We have
to make specific technology choices, and we have to be very precise
about what the structure of topic maps is. So how can we both have our
cake and eat it?

| This obviously leaves out a lot of parts/issues but it is a start,
| rather than talking about a start.

It's sort of a start, but what do you think we should *do*?