[sc34wg3] FW: Proposal for Starter Content

Ann Wrightson sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:21:12 +0100

Yes - this is v. well founded work that has a wide range of
applicability across many industries.

Ann W.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mason, James David (MXM) [mailto:masonjd@y12.doe.gov]=20
Sent: 26 August 2003 15:49
To: 'sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org'
Subject: [sc34wg3] FW: Proposal for Starter Content

Might this be a source for PSIs?

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: West, Matthew R SITI-ITPSIE [mailto:matthew.west@shell.com]=20
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 5:19 AM
To: Standard-Upper-Ontology (E-mail)
Subject: SUO: Proposal for Starter Content

Dear Colleagues,

You will be aware that I have been invovled in developing the EPISTLE
Core Model, a data model that constitutes a 4 dimensional upper
ontology, which is being standardised as ISO 15926-2. This has now
reached the stage of being published for its Final Draft International
Standard ballot.

I would therefore like to take this opportunity to propose it as starter
content for the Standard Upper Ontology.

The full document will be available shortly from your local=20
(national) standards body or ISO. However, the formal model is available
on the web in browsable html form at:

http://www.tc184-sc4.org/wg3ndocs/wg3n1328/lifecycle_integration_schema.
html

It is written in EXPRESS, an ISO standard data modelling language that
is defined in ISO 10303-11.

I should say that my intent/hope for future development may include
translation into a Description Logic language (OWL?) or First Order
Logic language and the addition of further axioms than those that are
part of the structure of the data model, together with inclusion within
the IFF framework together with other upper ontologies with different
foundations.

What I am not sure of is where we have got to with how we propose
content to be formally considered part of our work here.

Matthew West
Principal Consultant
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Other Tel: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@shell.com
Internet: http://www.shell.com

Hedra Limited=20
http://www.hedra.com=20
London=20
Tel: 020 7389 8080=20
Fax: 020 7389 8071=20
Farnham=20
Tel: 01252 719000=20
Fax: 01252 719111=20
Edinburgh=20
Tel: 0131 220 8424
Fax: 0131 220 8201=20

----------------------

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and =
intended solely for the use of =0D
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have =
received this email in error =0D
please notify the sender and delete the original message from your =
system.=20

This email and any attachments to it have been checked for viruses. =
However, you should verify =0D
that both the email and any attachments to it are virus free and the =
sender accepts no =0D
responsibility for any damage which may be caused by the inadvertent =
transmission of executable =0D
code.=20