[sc34wg3] FW: Proposal for Starter Content

Mason, James David (MXM) sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:48:50 -0400

Might this be a source for PSIs?

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: West, Matthew R SITI-ITPSIE [mailto:matthew.west@shell.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 5:19 AM
To: Standard-Upper-Ontology (E-mail)
Subject: SUO: Proposal for Starter Content

Dear Colleagues,

You will be aware that I have been invovled in developing the
EPISTLE Core Model, a data model that constitutes a 4 dimensional
upper ontology, which is being standardised as ISO 15926-2. This
has now reached the stage of being published for its Final Draft
International Standard ballot.

I would therefore like to take this opportunity to propose it as
starter content for the Standard Upper Ontology.

The full document will be available shortly from your local
(national) standards body or ISO. However, the formal model is
available on the web in browsable html form at:

http://www.tc184-sc4.org/wg3ndocs/wg3n1328/lifecycle_integration_schema.html

It is written in EXPRESS, an ISO standard data modelling language
that is defined in ISO 10303-11.

I should say that my intent/hope for future development may include
translation into a Description Logic language (OWL?) or First Order Logic
language and the addition of further axioms than those that are part
of the structure of the data model, together with inclusion within
the IFF framework together with other upper ontologies with different
foundations.

What I am not sure of is where we have got to with how we propose
content to be formally considered part of our work here.

Matthew West
Principal Consultant
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Other Tel: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@shell.com
Internet: http://www.shell.com