[sc34wg3] Semantic commitments as basis for Topic Map applications interoperability.

Steven R. Newcomb sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
28 Apr 2003 06:50:39 -0500

"Dmitry" <dmitryv@cogeco.ca> writes:

> Now, let's say I am not comfortable with TAO/XTM/ SAM definition of
> "occurrences". I would like to extend it and represent additional attribute:
> "occurrence strength".
>
> So what can I do? I can define additional semantic commitment to existent
> TAO/XTM/SAM commitments and define standard way to represent this extension.
> I can reify each "domain" XTM/SAM occurrence as topic and specify additional
> characteristic "occurrence strength".  I can "publish" this extension
> somewhere and others can take advantage of this new feature. Software
> developers can specify that their product implements TAO/XTM/SAM +
> "occurrence with strength" commitments.
>
> This semantic based approach can provide much better basic for TM
> applications interoperability, I think.

So do I.

How is what you're proposing different from the TMM approach?  The TMM
provides the most essential ingredient for making this possible: a set
of requirements that expressions of such ontological commitments must
meet.

Of course, in order to make this possible, we have to express the
ontological commitments of the SAM in a way that meets the same
requirements that we expect the expressions of extensions to the SAM
to meet.

-- Steve

Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant
srn@coolheads.com