[sc34wg3] The Reference Model as a New Work Item

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:16:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Steve Pepper wrote:

<slash>

> (1) As far as the committee is concerned there is no "Topic Maps
> Model". There is only a "Reference Model". It's the committee
> that decides names, not individual contributors ...

<snip>

Of course. As I've already stated elsewhere, if the committee decides that
"Reference Model" is a better name for the material in N0396, it will be
all the better equipped to do so having been presented with an alternative
providing usage in context.

Viewed in this light, the use of TMM should be regarded as lightly as the
labelling of N0396 a "committee draft" when the committee hasn't yet voted
on it -- both indicate desired outcomes on the part of individual
contributors.

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

Co-editor:  ISO Reference Model for Topic Maps
  Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org
  XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.