[sc34wg3] RE: Thoughts on the RM

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:47:20 -0400 (EDT)

> Dammit, *I'm* the unreconstructed trotskyist, remember ;-)

Well, I'm a Yellow Dog Democrat so we may have more in common than you
realize ;-)

> When I use the term "business case", I mean it in the broadest possible
> sense - of user requirements and user benefits. What are the *needs*
> we are attempting to satisfy, and what are the *benefits*

I'll try to use "benefits" or "community benefits." I wasn't raising "the
vendor thread" in an indirect fashion. What bugs me about "business case"
is that (I fear) it shades over into "business model" and "use case" and
then into actors ... And it ends up sounding like what we are doing is
something akin to a development project whereas (I would argue) what we
are engaged in is more important and more fundamental.

On another note, thanks for the other postings. They bring a new level of
clarity to the discussion.

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

Co-editor:  ISO Reference Model for Topic Maps
  Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org
  XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.