[sc34wg3] Questions on N0396: (16) locators

24 Apr 2003 16:52:49 +0200

* Murray Altheim

| Actually, this option. As Lars Marius mentioned, we could mention
| this as a problem, but I don't think we should react to it.

Actually, that's the approach taken by the text as it stands.

| In general, if someone is using a URI as a name or address , they
| might not even know about HTTP indirection, nor should they need to
| if the server and server administrator are all working according to
| plan. They should have contacted the admin and made sure the URIs
| are stable for their purposes, but apart from that, whether there's
| a real web page or a redirect or Cocoon generating the web pages, it
| doesn't matter. This is an application issue to be worked out ad
| hoc.

I certainly agree with that. The problem is when you find stuff like

  <subjectIndicatorRef xlink:href="tdb:http://www.example.org"/>

That is 'thing described on example.org'. Obviously that's not an
information resource, and so you shouldn't use a
<subjectIndicatorRef/>, but we can't stop it in any meaningful way.

| I don't think necessarily that you can make this distinction, but I
| specifically don't want us to get into the same ludicrous debate
| that led to
|
|     http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/NameMyth.html
|
| leading to responses like
|
|    http://internet.conveyor.com/RESTwiki/moin.cgi/OpacityMythsDebunked
|
| which at least makes some sense.

Yeah, we realized we could sink years of debate into this, and tried
to put up a warning sign without going any further.