[sc34wg3] Questions on N0396: (15) [value] vs [resource] property on occurrence

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:44:40 +0200

Graham Moore wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> I would say that the intent of resource data is to say that its location is
> 'in the model' and explicitly not elsewhere. If you want to have what you
> ask for then just keep it as a Locator to the content in the XTM file and
> you can do the processing.
>
> Further, considering that the majority of TM software will be interfaced via
> APIs and Query languages this notaion of where did a piece of 'internal data
> come from' doesnt make sense to me. We would end up with either ambiguous
> meaning or nothing at all.

All I tried to say is this:

Occurrences relate information resources to subjects. These information resources
can have addresses. If the same information resource is 'used' more than once in
a topic map I'd like to be able to provide the user with that information. If
I throw the locator of <resourceData> resources away, I loose that ability
in some cases. Since it does not hurt to keep the locator, why takle power
away from topic maps. What is the purpose?

> What would the values of the Locator be if from an API or some other
> TopicMap creation method I assign resource data to an occurrence - what
> should the locator be?

Well, if there is no locator, fine with me. I just don't want to throw
information away.

> The model drives the serialisation, the idea of a document and the
> de-serialisation driving the semantics of a model isn't right.

I agree. Syntax (in the DTD sense) must not drive any decision made in the
model.

But we have to consider issues that arise from transfering topic maps
via syntax.

Jan