[sc34wg3] Questions on N0396: (15) [value] vs [resource] property on occurrence

Graham Moore sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:22:10 +0100

Hi Jan,

I would say that the intent of resource data is to say that its location is
'in the model' and explicitly not elsewhere. If you want to have what you
ask for then just keep it as a Locator to the content in the XTM file and
you can do the processing.

Further, considering that the majority of TM software will be interfaced via
APIs and Query languages this notaion of where did a piece of 'internal data
come from' doesnt make sense to me. We would end up with either ambiguous
meaning or nothing at all.

What would the values of the Locator be if from an API or some other
TopicMap creation method I assign resource data to an occurrence - what
should the locator be?

The model drives the serialisation, the idea of a document and the
de-serialisation driving the semantics of a model isn't right.

gra

Graham Moore, Ontopian               <URL: http://www.ontopia.net >
GSM: +44 (0) 7769658611             moore@ontopia.net