[sc34wg3] Questions on N0396: (1) external information resources

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:46:02 +0200

Lars, Graham--

I am starting to work on the so called 'mapping between the RM and
N0396 (the SAM)'. During the following days I'll step through N0396
and try to find an alignment between your understanding of the SAM
and the one I have in mind for defining the SAM as a TMA according
to the RM.

I hope you find the time to help me with all my questions on N0396!

Here is the first one:

In 3.1 you write

  "Topic maps can refer to information resources external to themselves
   in order to make statements about them."

To be sure: can a topic map refer to the content of a <resourceData>
element (that is part of an XTM document) as an information resource?

You also write "A locator is a string that references one or more
information resources."

Why do you write 'one or more'?

Is this addressing the issue of the HTTP indirection between a
resource and its (possibly many) representations?

Regarding the above: On the Web it is impossible to address an
information resource, all you can address is a resource. The
representations (= the information resources) that are the results
of performing a GET/POST/HEAD on a resource may vary and statements
made about them might become invalid (e.g. language of a document).

Is N0396 simply ignoring this issue (as most/all? of us silently do)?

Should we bother at all?

Jan

--
Jan Algermissen                           http://www.topicmapping.com