[sc34wg3] Marketing considerations

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:39:42 -0400

Lars,

A supplemental response on your point that users will have custom topic
map applications built for their ontologies.

This involves statements about marketing and making money so the easily
offended may wish to hit DEL NOW! (I am not as easly offended as some,
perhaps because I am seeking allies and not soul mates in the pursuit of
a ubiquity of topic maps and topic map software.)

Consider the history of markup languages from 8879 forward. Sure, the
DOD and LockMart (Lockheed Martin), Boeing and the usual suspects that
used SGML and that was an important watershed for the development of
markup. SGML applications were custom designed and limited to a fairly
small market share. Fast foward some 15 years and check the range of
applications that exist for XML, from the free to the expensive. Some
clients still have custom XML systems written, others get advice on
using off-the-shelf software, while still others purchase books and
training.

Not saying it is the case that topic maps will follow the same path, but
if I were betting hard currency, I would go for the broader rather than
narrower market. If nothing else, having a broad market isolates vendors
from the fickleness of a few clients. Not to mention that there is only
one Lockheed Martin and only so many other concerns that can afford that
sort of customization.

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau