[sc34wg3] Reading, commenting - and responding

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:09:08 +0100

Jan

> XTM and HyTM both 'live' in the same domain, they use the semantics of
> name,occurrence, class-instance and a few more. They both can 'transport'
> topic maps that are goverened by the same TMA (the SAM).

My use of HyTM was extremely deliberate. While SAM, XTM and HyTM certainly
share the concepts you name, they also fail to share certain concepts. For
example SubjectIndicators are not part of HyTM and facets are not part of
XTM or SAM. What I want to explore, as a matter of urgency, is the problem
of trying to use TMAs that only partly overlap to allow systems to be able
to combine information. At present I am somewhat sceptical if two topic maps
conforming to different TMAs can be inter-related successfully. Hence my
call to demonstrate the applicability of TMM in helping out with the
difficult task of intergrating different approaches to developing topic
maps.

Martin Bryan