[sc34wg3] Question on TNC / Montreal minutes

05 Sep 2002 08:53:22 +0200

* Nikita Ogievetsky

| Actually the choice was between
| 1) on/off "merge" attribute
| and
| 2)introduction of  typed  <label> elements (typed like occurrences with
| <instanceOf>).
|=20
| The former was chosen, although I long hoped for the latter.

We are now going to have comments from the various national bodies on
the decisions made in Montr=E9al and the existing drafts. If you have
opinions please either send them in through your national body, or if
that is difficult, write them up in a document and post them publicly
(to this list, to your own web server, or whatever).=20

Comments are very much wanted, and not necessarily only from the
people who have direct access to the official process.
=20
| Now, if 2) choice were selected you would have:
|=20
| <topic id=3D"t1">
|    <baseName>
|       <baseNameString>Mama Cass</baseNameString>
|   </baseName>
| </topic>
| <topic id=3D"t6">
|   <label>
|       <instanceOf><topicRef xlink:href=3D"#possible-name"/></instanceOf>
|       <labelString>Mama Cass</labelString>
|  </label>
| </topic>
|=20
| This case is pretty clear, right?

I think so, although this was not what I had in mind. What I was
thinking was more like this:

<topic id=3D"t6">
  <baseName>
      <label>Mama Cass</label>
 </baseName>
</topic>

which is a less intrusive change to the syntax.

<instanceOf> on base names has now been made a separate issue from the
TNC, but it still needs to be settled.

| (<labelString> I had invented just now and for the purpose of this
| example only)

Yep. :)

--=20