[sc34wg3] Question on TNC / Montreal minutes

Mary Nishikawa sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 14:46:43 +0900

At 07:11 PM 9/4/2002 -0700, Nikita Ogievetsky wrote:
>Actually the choice was between
>1) on/off "merge" attribute
>and
>2)introduction of  typed  <label> elements (typed like occurrences with
><instanceOf>).
>
>The former was chosen, although I long hoped for the latter.

Nikita,

I don't think that this was settled yet at all even though the minutes read
that way. It may have just meant that we  wanted to come to some initial
agreement and then consider the decision. So for those who were not at the
meeting, the book on this one is not closed yet, or maybe I just want to
cause some trouble ;-)

I was wondering, can we think of

1. baseNameSting as only  the "container" for a string identifier within a
"scope" (meaning within a particular  domain). think that some are using it
this way now (similar to what I presented in Montreal).
This is the unique identifier  as a string, so to speak, for those who want
to use a string as an identifier. Some others may want to use
"subjectIndicatorRef for subject identity, but not use baseName. So I think
that the baseName should have an occurrence of  0 or 1. There should never
be more than one sting identifier (different from the URI). AN ISBN comes
to mind but there are others.

I am really against using any plain old name for the basename like
"dog"  to merge all topics that have "dog"  within such and such a scope.
Users will do as they like, but I think we should say explicitly that this
is not the use for basename.

If there are no sting identifiers, there are no basenames. Names such as
"dog" should be used in "label"

There may be many that disagree with me here.

Question: Do we really want to apply constraints with the DTD at this
point? Well, we are thinking about requiring attributes. This seems a
little better to me.

I do not know, but it does not make sense to me to have something that is
suppose contain something that uniquely identifies the subject but there
can be more than one of them; even if they are all in different scopes.

I may be missing something here. Please show me an example where more than
one identifier is needed.

2.  Label  (occurrence of 1 or more, or 0 or more?)

I do not think that we need attributes at all, but we need to define what
this label is and how it differs from display name. Do we need to require
at least one label name?

3. The variants are variants of the label, not of the base name. Would this
work?

Do we use scope or type on label? I an not sure.

So adding to Nikita's example

<topic id="t1">
    <baseName><scope>
         <topicRef xlink:href="core-id-types.xtm#us-ss-no"/>
</scope>
       <baseNameString>123-23-3456</baseNameString>
   </baseName>
</topic>
<topic id="t6">
   <label>
       <instanceOf><topicRef xlink:href="#possible-name"/></instanceOf>
       <labelString>Mama Cass</labelString>
  </label>
</topic>

(I don't think Mama Cass would like here SS# used like this, but it is only
an example. we would need to have encryption for stuff like this I guess.)

Cheers,
Mary