[sc34wg3] Are topic maps about knowledge representation?

Nikita Ogievetsky sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 19:23:16 -0700

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> |
> | I took out "author," since there need not be a human author anywhere
> | in the process.
>
> * Nikita Ogievetsky
> |
> | I think that if there is no human author anywhere in the process,
> | then it is not a knowledge, but information.
>
> Not necessarily. I would say that it depends on what the source is.
>
> | Lars, can you give an example of creating a topic map without human
> | intervention?
>
> * Lars Marius Garshol
> One would be the CIA World Factbook topic map that comes with the
> Omnigator. It was created automatically by a script that parsed the
> CIA World Factbook web site.

> * Nikita Ogievetsky
There were two consecutive authors here:
1) CIA
2) You or whoever in Ontopia who created and executed the script

> Another would be the Free XML Tools topic map, which is automatically
> created from an XML source document.

> * Nikita Ogievetsky
There were two consecutive authors again:
1) You, author of the XML document
2) You who created and executed the script

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> A third would be the tm-standards.xtm topic map, which is created by
> parsing an LTM topic map with some information, the HTML source of the
> XTM specification, the HTML version of ISO 13250, and the XML source
> of the SAM spec.

> * Nikita Ogievetsky
Oh wow! There are authors behind each of these!

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> There are lots more, but I'm not sure what you are after, so I will
> stop here.

> * Nikita Ogievetsky
Yes, there are much more topic maps, and they always have authors behind.

--Nikita