[sc34wg3] Are topic maps about knowledge representation?

15 Jul 2002 03:56:40 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| I took out "author," since there need not be a human author anywhere
| in the process.

* Nikita Ogievetsky

| I think that if there is no human author anywhere in the process,
| then it is not a knowledge, but information.

Not necessarily. I would say that it depends on what the source is.

| Lars, can you give an example of creating a topic map without human
| intervention?

One would be the CIA World Factbook topic map that comes with the
Omnigator. It was created automatically by a script that parsed the
CIA World Factbook web site.

Another would be the Free XML Tools topic map, which is automatically
created from an XML source document.

A third would be the tm-standards.xtm topic map, which is created by
parsing an LTM topic map with some information, the HTML source of the
XTM specification, the HTML version of ISO 13250, and the XML source
of the SAM spec.

There are lots more, but I'm not sure what you are after, so I will
stop here.