[sc34wg3] Disentangling 'scope', 'context' and 'applies'

Marc de Graauw sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 19:23:16 +0200

* Kal Ahmed

| If I understand correctly after my first reading of this, I would say that my
| proposal is not so much "at odds" with your definitions as "in addition to".

Good. Do not get me wrong, I think your proposal is very useful.

| What the notion of user context does is to provide a mechanism by which an
| application can determine whether or not a theme applies. Note that I also use
| "context of validity" to partition the context into chunks which can be
| separately processed so that an application has a way of determining when
| there are sufficient themes applying to a characteristic assignment to mark
| it as valid for a given user context.

Yes, I did like the chunk part. I think it is important to partition scope, and
I agree fully when you say: "A scope is defined using one or more contexts of
validity. Each context of validity consists of one or more themes." What I
didn't like so much was that your proposal seems to add a lot of elements to the
already-verbose XTM, though that may be unavoidable ):.

Marc