[sc34wg3] Disentangling 'scope', 'context' and 'applies'

Kal Ahmed sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:35:51 +0000

On Friday 12 July 2002 16:16, Marc de Graauw wrote:
<lots of very intelligent stuff removed to save space/>

> 5) Kal Ahmed
>
> Kal's proposal uses associations to create structured scope, and
> distinguishes between 'user context' and 'scope'.
> 'User context' can be structured (with roles), so this proposal is at o=
dds
> with the requirement I would make that a given theme either applies or =
does
> not apply. When themes in the user context play undefined roles, Kal's
> proposal is similar to the SAM.

If I understand correctly after my first reading of this, I would say tha=
t my=20
proposal is not so much "at odds" with your definitions as "in addition t=
o".=20
What the notion of user context does is to provide a mechanism by which a=
n=20
application can determine whether or not a theme applies. Note that I als=
o use=20
"context of validity" to partition the context into chunks which can be=20
separately processed so that an application has a way of determining when=
=20
there are sufficient themes applying to a characteristic assignment to ma=
rk=20
it as valid for a given user context.

While we are picking at the threads, I think that there is a need to=20
disentangle the principles of what scope is from the principles of how sc=
ope=20
is processed. I need to digest this a bit more though...

Cheers,

Kal
--=20
Kal Ahmed, techquila.com