[sc34wg3] Are topic maps about knowledge representation?

Kal Ahmed sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:24:14 +0100

Hi Patrick,

You wrote:

<snip>

> Personally I would relegate whatever claims one wants to make about
> topic maps to marketing literature and similar genres but don't feel
> it is worth the group's time to debate where such claims should be made.

I agree whole-heartedly with this. In fact, I intend to still use the
k-word when speaking to those who I know will get the "buzz" from it. In
fact, I think the more important point is the pigeon-holing of TMs as a
"knowledge technology". This is an area in which TMs could play
strongly, but is it really the only one ?

Still, I'm sure there are other, more controversial things that this
group can discuss than the use of the k-word.

Cheers,

Kal