[sc34wg3] Are topic maps about knowledge representation?

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:51:27 -0400

Kal,

Kal Ahmed wrote:

<snip>

> IMHO "knowledge" is either a philosophical term or a buzz-word. One
> route leads to 2000 years of epitomological debate and the other leads
> to a misunderstanding and a pigeon-holing of the technology. In either
> case it should be avoided in a standard.

Ironic that responding starts us down the route of the epistemology
debate in order to evaluate the response! ;-)

I concede to Steve's request on the grounds that consumers of the
standard will parse that as carefully as they did the XTM charter to
determine if I am an orginal, legitimate, founding member or merely an
original, possibly legitimate, founding member, or an original,
foundling member or some other category of member. ;-)

Personally I would relegate whatever claims one wants to make about
topic maps to marketing literature and similar genres but don't feel it
is worth the group's time to debate where such claims should be made.

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
Director of Research and Development