[sc34wg3] SAM-issue psi-generics (was: SAM-issue term-scope-def)

10 Jul 2002 14:38:47 +0200

* Nikita Ogievetsky
|=20
| You do not have to create a topic in order to talk about something.

Depends what you mean by "topic". The XTM definition is IMHO broken,
because it has more than one definition.

If we take topic to mean "topic information item" in the SAM then
clearly your statement is wrong.
=20
* Lars Marius Garshol

| I think this is a philosophical point of view that might have some
| validity, but it doesn't fit very well with how topic maps have been
| defined up to this point. So far topic maps have said topics represent
| subjects, and subjects are real-world things.
=20
* Nikita Ogievetsky

| I must have missed it. Did we put this in XTM standard?
| Where is the equivalence between subjects and real-world things is
| stated?

One of the two definitions of "topic" in XTM states that a topic
represents a subject. To say that subjects are "real-world" is untrue,
I agree. Not only does it contradict the standard, but it is quite
simply not true. I have a topic map with a topic representing F=EBanor,
who is a valid subject, but most definitely not real-world.

I was looking for a way to say what subjects represent and how that is
different from topics, and chose "real-world", but I admit it was a
terrible choice.

--=20