[sc34wg3] SAM-issue psi-generics (was: SAM-issue term-scope-def)

Marc de Graauw sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:10:04 +0200

* Nikita

>Marc, please help me: which definition of 'subject' in XTM are you talking
>about?

This one. The others say more or less the same.

http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/xtm1-20010302-2.html#desc-subject

The point I am trying to make is that Lars and I make statements about
'subject' in this thread. Since this is a mailing list on Topic Maps, of
course we use 'subject' as it is defined in the Topic Map standards. I think
you cannot simply say that when Lars says:

* Lars
>The issue is that topics and subjects are not the same,
>and instances of this class are clearly topics, but that people, for
>example, clearly are not topics, but subjects.

answer like this:

* Nikita
> So, I am a subject? Hmmm...
> I think that a subject is a mental proxy for an individual.

You speak as if there were no definition of 'subject' yet, and the notion
needs to be clarified, when we use 'subject' as a technical term that is
already embedded in the standards. You could, however answer like this:

You are right because of the definition of 'subject' in XTM/13250/SAM. I do
however not agree with that definition and I propose to replace it with:
Subject: a subject is a mental proxy for an individual.

There are two issues:
1) What Lars and I say on 'subject' and 'topic'.
2) The definition of subject XTM/13250/SAM.

Do not mix those, and do not say that what we say on 1) is wrong when you
actually mean you disagree with 2).

Marc