[sc34wg3] SAM-issue psi-generics (was: SAM-issue term-scope-def)

04 Jul 2002 10:56:51 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| So as long as topic "marc" does not represent a topic, and I say
|
|   [marc : topic = "Marc de Graauw"
|    @"http://www.marcdegraauw.com/aboutme_eng.htm"]
|
| I would be claiming that you are a topic, right?

* Nikita Ogievetsky

| You would be claiming that in the scope of the authored by you topic
| map document Marc represented a subject worth talking about and
| worth spending your precious time on creating a topic element :-)

I'm afraid you're not picking up the context, Nikitia. (Or else I am
misunderstanding you, which is definitely possible. :)

We are discussing the

published subject from the XTM 1.0 specification, and whether it is
broken or not. The issue is that topics and subjects are not the same,
and instances of this class are clearly topics, but that people, for
example, clearly are not topics, but subjects.

According to the definition of that published subject the topic above
is equivalent to this topic

  [marc = "Marc de Graauw"
   @"http://www.marcdegraauw.com/aboutme_eng.htm"]

since this published subject defines the default class of topics. As I
see it, that just can't be right.

So the question is: what do we do? Do we drop this published subject
from the new ISO 13250, or do we retain it. If we retain it, then we
have to write the SAM definition so that any topic that doesn't have
a defined class will be an instance of this class.

| So I do not think that this is such an easy decision.

I don't think it's trivial, either. That's why we have a formal issue
for it and a discussion about it.

| Besides I am as guilty as Mark (was?) and I was using rtm:topic as
| an RDF class in the older RDF Topic Map schema :-)

Actually, the guilty party here is not Marc, but the XTM 1.0
specification. :)