[sc34wg3] draft Reference Model

H. Holger Rath sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 18:45:52 +0200

Hi Michel, SteveN,

I read the draft and I am delighted by its simplicity
and power.

Some comments:

-	You use the term "arc" but you do not explain
	(at least I have not found it) if the connection
	between the two nodes (the arc) has a direction
	(as an RDF triple has) or not.

	I assume it does not have a direction. If this
	is the case I would name it "edge" and not "arc"
	because (at IMHO) arc implies a direction.

	Maybe someone with graph theory background
	(Bernard are you listening?) could help here.

-	I don't find any information where in the RM
	some literals (= value) are stored. The graphics
	show some bubbles with names in them but it is
	not explained in the text what this is and where
	is goes.

-	I miss a longer explanation of the built-in
	assertion type "assertionPattern-role-rolePlayerConstraints".

	I found only two sentences. No example.

	As I understand it, it is the constraint how an
	assertion (instance) of a certain assertion type
	has to look like: means which roles are possible
	and which role player are allowed.

	I doubt that the current definition (those two
	sentences) is substantial enough to explain
	something DAML+OIL spends pages on.

	Anyhow: It is my strong opinion that a constraining
	mechanism does *not* belong into the RM. It has to
	go into TMCL. If we want to constrain some of the
	SAM assertions we should do this in the standard text
	but we should not try to put this in the RM. On the
	one hand it just makes RM unnecessary complicated
	and on the other hand it does not fulfill the
	real requirements for constraining.

-	I assume that you will add some text about how merging
	has to be done in detail. Similar to annex F in XTM spec.

-	What does "assertion validation" assigned to SAM means in
	first figure?

Looking forward to a lively discussion.

Regards,
--Holger