[sc34wg3] Re: [topicmapmail] Multiple scopes on associations

22 Oct 2001 14:55:07 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Not at all. topic+ translates to a set of topics. That's a single scope.
| What SRN is talking about is a distinct set of sets of topics. This
| would translate to
|
|   <!ELEMENT scope (set+)>
|   <!ELEMENT set   (topicRef+)>

* Martin Bryan

| I've never read it this way, but even if that is true,

XTM 1.0 is very clear on this, even if ISO 13250 is not.

| does the merging of a set of added themes to a set scopes result in
| a single scope or a set of sets?

A single scope in XTM 1.0. In PMTM4 I think the added themes do not
increase the number of scopes, but I could be wrong.

| My concern is that scopes must be added to existing themes (see
| comment on the scope attribute of the assoc element definition in
| 13250). I therefore see this as a set of sets scenario. In XTM the
| "sets" must be singular, but they are still sets. The overall model
| that covers both of these is the set of sets metaphor, though
| personally I see no reason why this should not form a single set.

I'm not sure I understood this. Can you explain?

(It may be easier to explain this with reference to

--Lars M.