[sc34wg3] Re: [topicmapmail] Multiple scopes on associations

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:32:57 +0100

Lars Marius

You state that:

> Not at all. topic+ translates to a set of topics. That's a single scope.
> What SRN is talking about is a distinct set of sets of topics. This
> would translate to
>
>   <!ELEMENT scope (set+)>
>   <!ELEMENT set   (topicRef+)>

I've never read it this way, but even if that is true, does the merging of a
set of added themes to a set scopes result in a single scope or a set of
sets? My concern is that scopes must be added to existing themes (see
comment on the scope attribute of the assoc element definition in 13250). I
therefore see this as a set of sets scenario. In XTM the "sets" must be
singular, but they are still sets. The overall model that covers both of
these is the set of sets metaphor, though personally I see no reason why
this should not form a single set.

Martin