[sc34wg3] Agenda for August 11th

H. Holger Rath sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:03:00 +0200

Hi,

Steve Pepper wrote:
> =

> Dear All,
> =

> As you know, WG3 has a meeting scheduled in Montr=E9al for Saturday
> August 11th. The meeting will focus on topic maps and related work.
> =

> In order to prepare an agenda, I need to know:
> =

> * which of the editors and proposed editors of 13250, TMQL, and
>   TMCL will be present (we already know Daniel won't be)

I will be in Montr=E9al Fri Aug 10 - Sun Aug 19.
I also know that Graham Moore will be in Montr=E9al at least for
the same days.

> * what y'all think our priorities should be

In this particular order:

- ISO 13250: =

	* data model / processing model
- TMQL: =

	* approval of requirements document (Lars Marius and I will
	  submit a 0.9 version until end of this week);
	* figuring out what implication TMQL could have on the
	  data model
- TMCL: =

	* discussion of requirements (I assume that it is too early
	  for approval)
	* discussion if TMQC should use topic maps to express the
	  constraints
	* discussion if inference rules belong to TMCL or TMQL or both
	  or if it is something separate

> * what each of us has as goals for the meeting

- knowing in which direction the data model goes
- having an approval of the reqs for TMQL by SC34 WG3
- knowing what the reqs for TMCL are
 =

> The status of the various projects is as follows:
> =

> * ISO 13250:
>   - Proposal for an annex C (XTM DTD) should be out for balloting,
>     although I haven't seen anything from the Norwegian body yet.
>   - General agreement on the need for a data model/processing model
>     on which further work can be based (TMQL, TMCL, conceptual model)
> =

> * TMQL (Topic Map Query Language):
>   - Accepted as new work item. Requirements document v.0.8.2 is
>     available at http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0227.htm
>   - Any significant further progress is dependent on the definition
>     of the data model
> =

> * TMCL (Topic Map Constraint Language):
>   - Should be out for balloting as NWI. Initial requirements
>     document at http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0226.htm.
>     This document also includes some proposals for terminology,
>     a catalog of typical constraints, and a low-bar strawman
>     proposal.
>   - Further progress can be made on the requirements. Other progress
>     is dependent on the data model.
> =

> * Conceptual model:
>   - Accepted as TR to 13250. Committee agreement in Berlin to put
>     this on ice until the data model has been finalised.
> =

> As acting editor of TMCL I would like to spend about an hour going
> through N226 (see above), discussing the terminology proposals, the
> strawman, and the issue of principle relating to the pros and cons
> of using the topic map model itself to express constraints on topic
> maps.

I second.
 =

> I assume the TMQL editors would also like the committee's feedback
> on their work.

Yes, please.

> However, the key issue to be discussed seems to be that of the data
> model and/or processing model.

I totally agree.