[sc34wg3] Agenda for August 11th

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:27:50 +0200

Dear All,

As you know, WG3 has a meeting scheduled in Montréal for Saturday
August 11th. The meeting will focus on topic maps and related work.

In order to prepare an agenda, I need to know:

* which of the editors and proposed editors of 13250, TMQL, and
  TMCL will be present (we already know Daniel won't be)
* what y'all think our priorities should be
* what each of us has as goals for the meeting

The status of the various projects is as follows:

* ISO 13250:
  - Proposal for an annex C (XTM DTD) should be out for balloting,
    although I haven't seen anything from the Norwegian body yet.
  - General agreement on the need for a data model/processing model
    on which further work can be based (TMQL, TMCL, conceptual model)

* TMQL (Topic Map Query Language):
  - Accepted as new work item. Requirements document v.0.8.2 is
    available at http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0227.htm
  - Any significant further progress is dependent on the definition
    of the data model

* TMCL (Topic Map Constraint Language):
  - Should be out for balloting as NWI. Initial requirements
    document at http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0226.htm.
    This document also includes some proposals for terminology,
    a catalog of typical constraints, and a low-bar strawman
    proposal.
  - Further progress can be made on the requirements. Other progress
    is dependent on the data model.

* Conceptual model:
  - Accepted as TR to 13250. Committee agreement in Berlin to put
    this on ice until the data model has been finalised.

As acting editor of TMCL I would like to spend about an hour going
through N226 (see above), discussing the terminology proposals, the
strawman, and the issue of principle relating to the pros and cons
of using the topic map model itself to express constraints on topic
maps.

I assume the TMQL editors would also like the committee's feedback
on their work.

However, the key issue to be discussed seems to be that of the data
model and/or processing model.

Your comments, please. (Editors especially.)

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)