[sc34wg3] Data Virtualization

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Mon Apr 16 19:53:59 EDT 2012

Greetings!

Don't look now but I think "data virtualization" may be the next data
integration buzz word.

http://blogs.informatica.com/perspectives/2012/04/16/simplistic-approaches-to-data-federation-solve-only-part-of-the-puzzle-we-need-data-virtualization-part-2-of-3/

Part 3 of 3 is supposed to have the details.

Question that WG 3 could be interested in:

1) OK, so everyone has "data virtualization" - How do we reuse all the
effort that goes into it?

2) OK, same as #1 - How do we interchange virtualized data?

3) OK, same as #1 - How do we commoditize virtualization separate from
the data?

4) OK, assume 1 - 3 - How do we do those without rewriting XQuery, SQL,
JQuery, XSLT, the "rules" stuff at the W3C (I have forgotten its name), etc.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Patrick

PS: I am thinking about a syntax to wrap any one vocabulary (SQL,
XQuery, etc.) and a syntax that allows more than one vocabulary. Would
need to capture the vendor specific vocabularies as well.

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick at durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
OASIS Technical Advisory Board (TAB) - member

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau