[sc34wg3] XTM 2.0 topicRef - proposal for an erratum

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Tue Oct 20 10:24:13 EDT 2009

Lars,

Lars Heuer wrote:
> Hi Lars,
>
> [...]
>
>> The question is: is it politically wise to make an XTM 2.1? We already
>> have two XTM versions, which IMHO is one too many. Should we really
>> increase that to three? And what are the odds that there will be a
>> proper discussion of the issues this time around?
>>

> Well, without any doubt it would have been much better if we've seen
> these problems 3 years ago, but I think we have to fix XTM 2.0
> somehow. I'd prefer to avoid three XTM syntaxes, but I don't know how.
> Maybe it's possible to put the proposed changes into an errata of XTM
> 2.0? The result would effectively be the same, but the reputation
> would be different, maybe. I'd prefer the errata solution for
> political and psychological reasons. :)

Well, how many versions of XML are there? Counting all the various
revisions, etc.

 From an ISO perspective, DCOR versus PDAM, our choices are correcting
"errors" (both editorial and technical) versus "technical addition or
change."

I think it is fair to say that we have some "errors" (both editorial and
technical) but also "technical additions or changes."

I don't know of any viable standards that don't change. I have recently
been invited to vote on DocBook 5.0! I once tired to use DocBook 1.*
something for a book that required hyperlinks as subtitles. Where does
the time go?

I fully agree that we should not simply invent versions of XTM annually
or simply for the hell of it but either developers care enough to
distinguish between versions or they don't.

There was an editorial some time ago in the New York Times about
libraries that had a line that applies to standards as well: "...are
like sharks. Either they are moving or they are probably dead."

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau