[sc34wg3] The Newcomb "howl" was: Re: New TMCL slides

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Sun Nov 8 17:30:33 EST 2009

Greetings!

I will try to briefly answer what I think is at the core of Steve's "howl."

And for the record, Steve is right that I thought he was going to howl
about something entirely different.

The clearest part of the "howl" reads:

> It has to do with whether it can ever be true that two different
> association types can have a role type (reified as a single topic) in
> common. For me, it's obvious that that situation cannot occur, at
> least not without violating the one-subject-per-topic rule. When the
> syntax of a topic map claims that it is happening, something is
> seriously wrong.
Steve concedes that due to granularity of subject resolution I could
have a subject that encompasses what others see as two role types, which
may cause difficulties for some uses of a topic map but after all, that
is an author's choice.

What Steve contends is that once having chosen a subject for a role in
an association (which reflects the author's choice in terms of subject
resolution/granularity), that another association in the same topic map
cannot have that same role.

What I think Steve is missing is that his position *assumes* the very
condition that it seeks to require. That is to say that when Steve says
"role," it has already been assumed that such a role can only appear in
one association. It may be true that some roles cannot sensibly appear
in multiple associations, such as Steve's rather clever example of the
Romeo/Juliet and Tristan/Isolde.

But, that does not mean that it would be a sensible rule to say that a
role can *never* appear in more than one association.

For example, in Louisiana law, not so terribly long ago (I don't know if
this is still valid law), the husband of the mother of a child was
presumed to be the father. Think about that for a moment. Note that
biological fatherhood isn't at issue but legal fatherhood is.  This was
not a rebuttable presumption in all but a few cases.  But, it was
possible to obtain support from the *actual* father of the child,
without making the child a "bastard" (a legal term in Louisiana law).

So, we could have husband role (legal) - mother role - child role, and
father role (biological) - mother role - child role, where the mother
and child roles participate in two different associations.

I don't think that many people would say that the mother and child roles
in those two associations are different. That is to say, they meet the
test of "one subject per proxy" and yet as roles they appear in more
than one association. (Note that this isn't an analytical issue. The law
of Louisiana defines the subjects in these associations. That we might
model the subjects differently, for what seem to us to be good reasons,
isn't controlling. For topic maps in legal systems, the subjects as
defined by others are what topics represent.)

My conclusion is that roles *can* appear in more than one association
and still meet the "one subject per proxy" test. That not *all* roles
can do so is interesting but should not lead to the rule Steve advocates.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick at durusau.net