[sc34wg3] TMCL issue: regex?

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Sat Nov 7 09:34:56 EST 2009

Lars,

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Patrick Durusau
>>
>> We say:
>>
>>> A string /s/ matches a regular expression /r/ if the string is a
>>> member of the set of strings |L(r)| denoted by /r/ as defined in
>>> /[XML Schema-2 <http://www.isotopicmaps.org/tmcl/tmcl.html#XSD2>]/.
>>
>> Err, does that mean that conforming TMCL processors will recognize
>> regular expressions defined using the regex syntax defined in
>> Appendix F of XML Schema Part 2?
>
> Yes.
>
>> The reference and the requirement to conform to that syntax seems a
>> big vague.
>
> How so? I mean, it does say that it's the regexp syntax from XML
> Schema part 2, and you interpreted it correctly. So I'm not sure
> what's problematic about this. :-)

Well, I made the connection because we just went through this in ODF and
realized you were mis-quoting the XML Schema Appendix, which reads:

"A ·regular expression·
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-2-20041028/#dt-regex> /R/ is a
sequence of characters that denote a *set of strings*  /L(R)/."

And, note that quite literally the draft defines "A string /s/ matches a
regular expression...."

Defining what it means to match a regular expression isn't the same
thing as defining a regular expression language.

I suppose you can say "you know what I meant" but that is a very poor
basis for standard writing. If TMCL processor must/should support XML
Schema Part 2, Appendix F, then let's simply say that.

>> Please add an issue to specify the regular expression syntax as
>> defined by XML Schema Part 2 and appropriate conformance requirements.
>
> I will, as soon as I understand the issue well enough. :-)

Does the foregoing help?

Apologies if that seems picky but I have spent the last several years
prying out "everybody knows what we meant" sort of information in
another context. Turns out looking at variations in implementations that
everyone didn't. ;-)

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Patrick