[sc34wg3] Redmine project management software for organizing our standardization work

Benjamin Bock bb-sc34wg3-ml at bockb.de
Mon Mar 30 04:07:41 EDT 2009

[Resent as first message was blocked and unmoderated, original from

Hi all,

here at the ISO meeting in Prague we observed that the mailing list is
not ideal to follow the overall progress and collect the results of
discussions and exchanging files. We found that a bug tracker and/or a
Wiki may fit better the diversity of uses.

Therefore we set up projects in the project management software used by
the Topic Maps Lab, called Redmine. Each project has several pages to
(hopefully) give editors, committee members and other interested parties
an overview of what's going on and the easy possibility to take contribute.
Furthermore it allows to formulate resolutions to issues and we (the
Topic Maps Lab) are going to more actively take part in bringing forward
the standardization work.

CTM: http://projects.topicmapslab.de/projects/ctm
TMCL: http://projects.topicmapslab.de/projects/tmcl
TMQL: http://projects.topicmapslab.de/projects/tmql

Key features:
Overview: To be used for the elevators pitch on current work
Activity: Quickly see what happened recently (Issues, Files, News...),
RSS feeds
Issues: Detailed discussion about specific stuff
News: For Progress documentation on a high level
Wiki: Working together on structured content
Files: Upload Presentations, ... from/for the meetings
Repository [TODO]: Direct access to the drafts, using distributed
version control system so contributors can send patches.

Probably it's best if the editor decides what current stuff to put in as
issues and what not. New issues could be put into Redmine, we could set
up that all activity in there gets posted to the mailing list - not sure
if this a good way. One could also use the RSS feed. We still
investigate the best way to do organize that. Comments are welcome.

We are aware that a software does not solve the problems itself but
hopefully it lowers the barrier to get involved and informed.

In the top right corner of the web site you can register and I'll
activate your account and assign you to the projects.

Cheers,
Benjamin

--
Dipl.-Inf. Benjamin Bock