[sc34wg3] CTM: Specifying datatypes

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Sun Mar 29 05:22:14 EDT 2009

* Lars Heuer

> Yes, I think we should allow something like
>
>     def mapping($t, $q)
>         $t
>         mapping: $q^^sql:query.
>     end

What happens if I then use the template as follows?

   mapping(foo, "select ..."^^xsd:string).
   mapping(foo, "select ..."^^bar:sql-query).
   mapping(foo, 1).

In this case, the template would be overriding the given datatype. Is
that OK? How do we specify this? Do we just say that the template
always wins, or should the rules be more complicated?

Graham was strongly against this in Prague, but without giving any
detailed rationale for why. Personally, I'm OK with it provided we can
make the rules dead simple.

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/