[sc34wg3] TMCL Max int using extended XML Schema DataType

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Fri Mar 27 07:05:24 EDT 2009

* Lars Heuer

> Interesting, I wasn't aware of it and I am not sure if I understood it
> completely. :) Anyway, isn't this solution more less equivalent to our
> INF-solution: We have to check somewhere if the value is
> '*'^^ctm:integer which would be the same as checking if the value is
> 'INF'^^xsd:double (which would be the only possible datatype !=
> xsd:integer in TMCL-constraints)?

It makes it a tiny bit clearer that fractional numbers are not OK, and
* is much nicer than INF, but other than that it's pretty much the same.

> The only difference would be that all xsd:integers are valid
> ctm:integers, which is not possible with the INF-solution.

Yep.

> Btw, TMQL uses '*' as wildcard, so we'd have a mismatch between the
> datatypes TMQL recognizes natively and those datatypes which are
> recognized by CTM natively. Something we wanted to avoid.

We discussed it briefly here in Prague and came to the conclusion that:

  - the star is *exactly* what's needed in TMCL, so we really want it
  - there are no technical issues with it also being used in TMQL
  - we doubt that it will actually confuse anyone that it means two
    different things
  - yes, it's a little bit unpretty, but so are all the alternatives

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/