[sc34wg3] TMQL - Chapter 3

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Fri Jun 26 14:37:55 EDT 2009

Greetings!

There has been a few posts recently concerning the current draft of TMQL
with suggestions that parts of it aren't as clear as possible. Shocking
I know but there you have it. ;-)

Since that is not a new comment and as in the past it isn't really clear
(ironic isn't it?) what is unclear about the current draft, I thought it
might be helpful to at least walk through the current draft, one part at
a time to see if we can get specific comments on what works, what
doesn't, etc.

I have had a number of personal issues that have been distracting but I
need distraction from those so I am going to attempt to post something
every Friday to work through the current TMQL draft, which you can find
at: http://www.isotopicmaps.org/tmql/tmql.html.

Don't worry, I will repost that URL with every post that I make.

The chapter for this coming week is Chapter 3 Notation and Semantics.

The question is: Is there anything that is unclear or could be improved
about this section? (Rani suggests that I ask about "features" but
Section 3 really doesn't have "features" as such. I will use that
question when we reach some features.)

Comment: My answer is yes, under Section 3.1 Syntax Conventions,
numbered paragraph 3 should be removed and all use of it in the main
part of the draft expunged. This is the mapping to an alternate syntax
in the main body of TMQL.

I don't doubt that sort of thing is useful but it would be sufficient to
put a page in an annex listing those mappings. Multiple syntaxes
threaded through the document have the potential to be confusing.

Note that this suggested change has the potential to make other parts of
the draft less confusing.

I would note that TOMA follows the single line syntax for comments. Is
everyone comfortable with that? The single line nature of comments?

Hope everyone is looking forward to a great weekend!

Patrick

PS: I cross-posted this first post to both the sc34wg3 at isotopicmaps.org
concerns the current TMQL draft and the sc34wg3 mailing list is open to
public subscription (see
http://www.isotopicmaps.org/mailman/listinfo/sc34wg3), future posts will
be appear only on the sc34wg3 list.

--