[sc34wg3] Very rough draft of possible proposal for 13250-1/TR

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Thu Jul 30 06:18:21 EDT 2009

Greetings!

I have posted a very rough draft of a possible proposal for ISO 13250-1
or a TR to replace that part of the standard.

http://www.durusau.net/publications/tm_index_intro_0.10.pdf

The *real* draft is due mid-August for the SC 34 meeting in September
but I wanted to post this pre-draft version to get as much feedback as
possible. The actual ISO draft will be posted to the document repository.

The basic theme of the document is to start where topic maps started,
with indexes and to take a fairly simple example forward through the
various parts of the standard.

Three observations:

1) Yes, there could be more examples but one of my goals is to have a
framework into which *other* index examples from other fields could be
easily inserted. If people identify subjects differently, doesn't it
stand to reason that they will respond to examples differently? That is
to say that examples from their areas of interest are likely to be more
compelling?

2. Yes, there needs to be use of the examples under TMCL, TMQL and a
strong conclusion. I just ran out of time and wanted to get this posted.

3. No, no I haven't proofed it for typos, spelling/grammar errors,
errors in the examples or syntax. I just typed it out and pasted in
suggestions from Naito-san and others and posted it. This is truly a
"rough" draft. ;-)

I do think this document needs to be short enough for a person to read
in say 20 or so minutes so that puts the page limit somewhere between 18
to 25 pages.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Patrick

--